Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 2, 2011

The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School


The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School by Candace Fleming



I enjoyed this book and think it would be a great read-a-loud book or could be used in a center near the end of a fable unit for upper grades. Why might it work at a center you ask? Great question! ;) Each chapter of the book ends with a moral. Students can research the original moral and then compare and contrast it with the chapter they just read or they can write their own story for the same moral. If you are interested I have made a free lesson map and venn diagram that you could use just for this book. I just wish I had cuter clipart. (I finally last week and caved and spent $8 on clipart, but none of it matches this topic. Sorry.)


The book tells the tale of a class of children that terrorizes their school. That is, until they meet their new fourth grade teacher, Mr. Jupiter. Mr. Jupiter is out of this world. He has traveled the world, and has a unique way of dealing with "hard children." This book will make you giggle out loud and leave you guessing on which moral the author is trying to share with you next. As you read pay particular attention to the names of the adults. You' ll be glad you did.

Next on the list? A book that my dad read to his four children on camping trips. When I saw it on the shelf at the library I just knew I needed to re-read it. I read all three books in one, but you can read any of the three. Read them all in Three Tales of My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett or read them individually My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, The Dragon's of Blueland.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this book. It sounds great and I love this lesson. Thank for sharing the lesson map and venn digram.

    http://ericashep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of it either. :) Thank you for commenting. Comments make my day!

    ReplyDelete