Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 16, 2011

Fourth Grade Rats


Fourth Grade Rats
 by Jerry Spinelli

Let me start off with saying how much I love Spinelli books. A lot. I loved Maniac Magee when I was little. Stargirl changed how I viewed the world. And Love, Stargirl made me bawl. So it is hard for me to admit I did not love this story. I read it because it was recommended, and Spinelli wrote it. I would still keep it in my library, but I probably would not read this book aloud to my class.

Fourth grade is a tough transition for Suds. Kids at school sing "First grade babies! Second grade cats! Third grade angels! Fourth grade .... Rats!" His best friend Joey, says becoming a rat is the first step to becoming a man. Suds is not sure he wants to be a rat. He likes his lunch box with elephants on it and he doesn't want to give up his stuffed animal, Winky. Follow Suds as he begins to learn that being a grown-up is not just about eating gross food, caring about just yourself, or being "tough."

2 comments:

  1. Is this a new book of Spinelli's? I also enjoyed Stargirl, and I find hisbooks to emotionally charged to read out lout to a class. I need Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume to keep my eyes dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Stargirl, too - actually, I love all of Spinelli's books. I only just found out there was a sequel to Stargirl a few weeks ago (don't know how I missed that one). Long story short ... already ordered and expecting it to be delivered tomorrow ... guess what I'll be doing tomorrow night ... and I guess I'll get the kleenex ready.
    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete