Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 16, 2012

Pirate Books

My husband is out of town, which means I have a little bit more free time than I usually do. That means that I got to explore my local bookstore yesterday. One of my favorite things to do in a bookstore is peruse new titles and find new books to add to my collection. Yesterday I focused on pirate books.

Some of the ones that I fell in love with:



I think A Pirate's Guide to First Gradeis my favorite. It is full of fun pirate phrases. It is perfect for introducing the concept of context clues. Don't worry. There is a glossary in the back for all you land lubbers. ;)

My favorite non-fiction book was You Wouldn't Want to Be a Pirate's Prisoner!: Horrible Things You'd Rather Not Know . It had a lot of great tips and some fun illustrations. I highly recommend it for older grades.

Some others that I still want to check out:
Look Out for Litter (Cloverleaf Books: Planet Protectors)
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
Do Pirates Take Baths?
Pirates Go to School
The Pirates Next Door
There Was an Old Pirate Who Swallowed a Fish
Pirates by Gail Gibbons
Pirates by Mary Pope Osborne
The Pirate of Kindergarten (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))

What about you? Any favorite pirate books?

3 comments:

  1. My son used to love pirates. I use Shiver Me Letters as a fun ABC book. I miss his pirate days but am enjoying the super hero ones now!

    I am your newest follower! Stop by when you get a chance!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love super heroes too! I have a feeling I will need to get some more book recommendations from you. :)

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog by way of Taming My Flock of Firsties Giveaway. Glad I found you. I am your newest follower. Stop by and visit:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete