Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 3, 2011

Book Whisperer Part 5

Chapter 7 Letting Go  - The Book Whisperer

The Three main ideas I pulled from this chapter:

  • There is a pull to conform to what other people are doing and have done for a long time. 
  • I can manage my classroom without dictating everything.
  • Teaching your children to love reading is a commitment.
Wow! After devouring this book there are so many ideas running through my head. I wish it were possible to put only the best ones down, but I fear you will have to suffer through them all.

I need to assemble a library. A good one. This will be something of a challenge because before this summer I taught younger grades and now I am moving up to Fourth. The oldest I have ever taught is third and that was more of a student teaching experience. I'm going to need a whole new set of books. Yard sales just became my new best friend.

I need to develop a way of organization too! Bins and bookcases. Stickers and contact paper. Stamps and book cards. Sounds like I will need to start saving.

I am a reader. Well I was, until life got too busy and demanding. I do better in the summer time. Anyways, after reading Miller's book I realize all it takes is a little time and commitment. I think I can deal with that. I will read! I will devour books like I used to. I can't wait.

I need to read more literature to be able to connect with my future students. How can I recommend a book if I have not read it? The library is going to be my new best friend. I will have to start using a book log as well. Stories often tend to get mixed together in my head. I am great with the general details. But names... a little iffy.

I need to develop the strength to defend my teaching strategies. I know reading helps kids. I know choice makes reading fun. I know this works. I am so grateful to be at a charter school next year where research based teaching and creative thinking is encouraged. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment