Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

October 19, 2011

The End of the Molasses Classes Part 1


The Teaching Blog Addict Book Club is at it again,  this time reading The End of Molasses Classes: Getting Our Kids Unstuck--101 Extraordinary Solutions for Parents and Teachers. I am loving this book. It inspires me to be better and expect more from my class and from myself. There are so many great ideas in this book that I really have a hard time narrowing it down to a couple to share.

I love principle three. "Define your expectations and then raise the bar; the more you expect; the better the results will be." When you set high expectations and stick to them, the students will rise to the occasion. I know this is true. I have seen it in action.

Principle seven inspired me, "Get to know your students in nonacademic settings." I want to be the teacher who knows about a child's piano recital, football game, or job and makes the time to get there. I know it can make a world of difference to a child to know someone cares about him or her.

So many great ideas to think about and to implement. I think I need to make a goal to apply a new principle to myself each month.

2 comments:

  1. I just started reading this and I am loving it! In fact, I'm going to go read it right now!

    Amy @ First Things First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Ron Clark and I totally agree that It's the little things that make a big difference. It's been seven years since worked a lot with a boy named Kevin when he was in first grade. When he walked up to the concession stand at a football game recently, I greeted him with, "Hi, Kevin, what can I get you?" You know what he wanted? Nope, not skittles or a coke, he wanted to know how I remembered his name. Such a small thing but it meant SO much to him.

    ReplyDelete