How do you celebrate Chinese New Year in your classroom? I used to share books with my class and do a short lesson on the different animals associated with the Chinese Zodiac. This is the year of the snake.
Here are two of my favorite books:
D Is for Dragon Dance
I was given this one with a little paper dragon puppet. My kids loved to read this and gently play with the puppet.
Celebrating Chinese New Year
Other Great Resources
- Little Wonders' Days shared a list of great Chinese New Year Books.
- Laura Candler has a free Chinese New Years Packet.
- What's the Buzz in First has a Count by 2's Activity featuring the Chinese Zodiac Animals.
- Kindergarten Rocks has a mini lesson on Chinese New Year.
- Life on the Fourth Floor has a Chinese New Year pack that includes the story of the zodiac animals, tangrams, coloring, boggle, and more.
I have not read this book yet. It looks adorable. Anyone out there read it before? Is it worth adding to my list of books to buy?
The Runaway Wok: A Chinese New Year Tale